Saturday, September 26, 2009

The turning point.

Not surprisingly, I have been swallowed by the mammoth beast that is the senior year semester.

Good news, though, on the Plan C front:

The past few weeks, I've been working on "retrofitting" parts of the story, and through it all, I'm learning so much about the novel writing process. As a result, hoping that my depictions of academia will ring a little more true than they have thus far.

Some of the more major aspects of the work are being tweaked as I realize just how much this book is "character-driven" versus "plot-driven." What does that mean? It means that, according to my professor, my novel will "stand or fall" based on how genuine - how real - my characters are. I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm telling you, this directed research is a novelist's boot camp. Never before have I felt so sure that I have have little-to no-idea what the heck I'm actually doing. Never before have I so seriously doubted my basic competency as a creative writer to tackle a project like this. Each meeting reveals to me just exactly how much I do NOT know about my craft. This may sound like I'm whining about a negative experience, but out of the nagging self-doubt comes the challenge to do the absolute best I can and to NEVER settle for less than 110% out of myself.

But perhaps, most significantly of all, I'm learning so much about how I have to BELIEVE in what I'm doing. If I don't, who will? I have to love this book enough to be willing to do whatever I can humanly do to make it good. To be willing to make sacrifices where I need to - and to figure out exactly what's truly important in my work. Nothing worth creating out of this is going to come quickly or easily.

It's been a stretching experience - one of extreme highs and lows - but, through it all, I think that it's been teaching me more about diligence and patience than I could have ever imagined it could. But through it all, I know that I'm only further discovering where the passions of my heart lie.

And, as a result, I know that I'll never be the same again.

1 comment:

Xanthorpe said...

Bon soir! Long time, no 'see'...

I am taking time out as I resurface from an annoying bout with strep throat, flu and who knows what, to stop by the wonderful folks that follow my blog and return the favor. Fortunately, there are not many of you!

Is your name Ruby? Have you ever told me your real name? In case you haven't, mine is Mike, although I do think the 'X' thing is much more mysterious and interesting. LOL

What an awesome experience your directed research must be. Treasure this time that you can devote heart and soul to your writing - I so wish I could 'unplug' and do that.

I envy you.

I'm sure that Plan C is so much the better for it :-)

X